Saturday 6 May 2017

The Beginning Of The End

A few years ago, I started writing a book on post apocalypse films. My idea was to watch every single film in the genre I could find, review them and collect these into a book called Final Films. Over the course of a couple of years, I watched and reviewed well over 200 films of an estimated 500 post apocalypse films. The project ground to a halt for a number of reasons. Firstly, I discovered that someone else had written basically the same book, so decided to hold off to see what that was like, and try and make mine different. This other book- World Gone Wild by David J. Moore turned out to be a great looking hardback, with tons of lovely video covers reproduced in full colour, and it remains the most comprehensive look at post apocalypse films ever written.
Apart from that, changes in my personal life meant that spending one day of my weekend watching 5 or 6 films a day, the next day writing about them, then going back to my full time job on a Monday didn't seem like such a good idea as it was when I started out.
Finally, in my somewhat quixotic quest, I was watching some really shitey films. Few of my all time favourite films would be generally recognised as cinematic classics, but in the name of research for this, I sat through some really fucking terrible films, from which no entertainment value could be extracted on any kind of level. Every time I'd discover a new, shot on DV, zero budget zombie film and realise I'd have to watch it, I'd die a bit more inside.
So ultimately, my work rate dwindled to zero. As the world heads for Armageddon (what will get us first, nukes or the climate?) I've decided to put out what I've done so far, and maybe do some more new material as well. Hope you find it of some interest.

No comments:

Post a Comment